The links in this post contain affiliate links and I will receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking on my link.
I shared this tutorial in my Instagram stories and it was such a hit! I LOVE my babies sweet silhouettes and thought it would be so much fun to DIY some gifts for grandmas for Mother’s Day… and then (obviously) I had to make something for myself, too. On Instagram, I have a highlight showing how we made a silhouette throw pillow as a Mother’s Day gift for my MIL. You can find that highlight here. In that project we used Infusible Ink which I LOVE working with. It seems to be intimidating because I always get a lot of questions whenever I use it… but don’t worry, if I can do it, you can do it. In this post I’m going to put the children’s silhouettes on a piece of wood with removable vinyl.
- Take your silhouette photos. The best way to do this is to have your subject stand in front of a window – then the background will be very bright and you will easily be able to remove it, leaving you with a well-defined profile of your sweet baby. To remove the background of the photo, I use Canva. You can use their mobile app, but I find their browser version allows me to fine-tune my work. In Canva, I use their background remover effect. (I show how I use it in my highlight on Instagram.)
- Upload silhouette into Cricut Access as a “Cut” file. In Cricut Access, you can fine tune the lines around the outside of your silhouette using the “Despeckle and Smooth” tools.
- Cut them with your Cricut machine. For this project I used permanent vinyl. If you’re using infusible ink or iron-on vinyl, don’t forget to mirror your image.
- Use transfer tape to put them on your surface.
- Enjoy their sweet little profiles.