Over the past year, I have found SO many uses for all of these different oils I received from my first Young Living order. I could research forever and still find new ways to use my favorite oils. It’s honestly amazing.
While I still have lots (and lots and lots and lots) to learn about essential oils, I’m excited to be on this journey towards a healthier lifestyle. From helping Blaire (and all of us) sleep better at night, to making the air in our home cleaner (while making it smell better), there are so many uses for essential oils in our home. Here I’ve rounded up my favorite six oils, and I’m sharing my favorite ways I use them in our home.
My Favorite Oils
This oil is your secret cleaning weapon! Not only is it a powerful cleaner, it smells goooood.
- Clean Dishes: Add a few drops of thieves oil to dishwater or to your dishwasher.
- Clean Dishwasher: Run an empty cycle of white vinegar and 2 drop of thieves oil.
- Clean Grout: Create a paste with baking soda and water, and add a few drops of thieves oil for extra cleaning power!
- Clean Floors: Add a few drops of thieves oil to your water when mopping for extra clean floors.
- Freshen Carpets: Add 5 drops of thieves oil to one cup of baking soda. Let it sit overnight, so all oil is absorbed. Sprinkle over carpets, then vacuum thoroughly.
- Diffuse in your home or car to help create an environment of peace.
- Remove Sticker Reside from Glass: After removing as much of the sticker/label as possible, rub with a drop of thieves oil, let it sit/soak for a few minutes, then rub clean.
- Remove Stains from Dry/Erase Boards: Add one drop of thieves oil to a tissue and rub over stains.
- Support Immunity: Roll onto the bottoms of your feet.
Stress Away oil is calming and relaxing! I suffer with anxiety and I always keep Stress Away on hand to help ease it.
- Diffuse in your home to help calm and relax.
- Relaxation/Ease Anxiety: Mix 1 drop of stress away oil with 1 drop carrier oil and apply to your wrists or the back of your neck. You can put this mixture in a roller ball and keep it on hand – add peppermint oil for a yummy smell and an instant pick-me-up.
- Ease Anxiety (Option 2): Add a drop of stress away oil to water and drink.
- Ease Knotty Muscles: Mix stress away oil with your favorite carrier oil and roll onto knotty muscles.
I love Lavender oil because it’s calming. As a mom of two, anything that calms us all down and helps with bedtime is a favorite.
- Diffuse in your home: We love to diffuse it at bedtime to help everyone drift off to sleep.
- Incorporate to Bedtime Routine: Add a few drops to bath, lotions, and shampoos.
- Bedtime Linen Spray: Add a few drops of lavender oil to distilled water and spray on linens to help you relax at bedtime. You can also add in a few drops of cedarwood oil. This combo smells yummy!
- Add to Shampoo: It’s said that lavender oil increases the number of hair follicles, resulting in a thicker head of hair. for a thicker head of hair. It also makes hair shinier and helps reduce dandruff. Add a few drops of lavender oil into the palm of your hand and lather with shampoo before applying to your hair.
- Add to Skincare: Lavender oil is said to restore skin complexion and reduces acne, slow aging, and improve eczema/psoriasis.
- Homemade Body Scrub: Mix a few drops of lavender oil with coconut oil and sugar.
- Heal Sunburn: Add a few drops of lavender oil and peppermint oil together with aloe vera and rub over sunburnt area 3 times per day. Even my worst sunburn was gone in 3 days without any peeling!
- Heal Bug Bites: Rub Lavender on bug bites to help reduce swelling and itching.
- Relieve Headaches/Migraines: Massage your temples, neck, and/or forehead with a few drops of lavender oil.
- Relive Nausea: Place one drop of lavender oil behind your ears or on the end of your tongue.
This is a favorite for mixing into my diffuser and for adding to my shampoo and conditioner for shinier hair.
- Diffuse in your home:
- Add to Shampoo: It’s said that cedarwood oil makes your hair shinier. Add a few drops into the palm of your hand and lather with shampoo before applying to your hair. You can do the same with your conditioner.
- Smooth Hair: Rub cedarwood oil in the palms of your hand and smooth over hair for shinier, healthy-looking, smooth hair.
- Bedtime Linen Spray: Add a few drops of cedarwood oil and a few drops of lavender oil to distilled water and spray on linens to help you relax at bedtime.
- Increased Focus: Add equal parts (approx. 8 drops) cedarwood oil, lavender oil, and frankincense oil with your favorite carrier oil, to a roller ball. Roll onto the base of your neck for increased focus.
While the majority of my other favorite oils are relaxing and soothing (clearly I’m the exhausted mama of little ones) this one is the opposite. It wakes you right up AND it makes everything smell amazing. Because peppermint is a “spicy/warm” oil it should always be diluted with a carrier oil before applying to skin.
- Diffuse in your Home: I love to add peppermint oil to my diffuser! The scent definitely makes it one of my go-tos.
- Increased Energy: Rubbing two drops of peppermint oil between the palms of your hands and inhale for an instant pick-me-up. You can also add a few drops of peppermint oil to your favorite carrier oil and apply it to your neck for a similar effect.
- Massage: Add a few drops of peppermint oil to your favorite carrier oil and use it for a massage – especially great for a post-workout massage.
- Fever Reduction: Mix a few drops of coconut oil & peppermint oil together and apply to the bottom of feet to help lower fever.
- Instant Cooling: Add a few drops of peppermint oil to distilled water and spray on your wrists and the back of your neck for immediate cooling.
- Headache Relief: Combine peppermint oil with coconut oil and massage into the temples and back of neck to relieve headaches/migraines. This can also ease nausea and help relieve anxiety.
- Nausea Relief: Rubbing two drops of peppermint oil between the palms of your hands and inhale.
- Scare Spiders Away: Spray the corners of a room with a mixture of peppermint oil and distilled water to help keep spiders away.
- Cooking: You can use it in recipes. An easy one? Add a drop of peppermint oil to your hot chocolate! Yummy!
- Heal Sunburn: Add a few drops of peppermint oil and lavender oil together with aloe vera and rub over sunburnt area 3 times per day. Even my worst sunburn was gone in 3 days without any peeling!
One of the things I knew I’d miss most after my “chemical cleanup” was my trusty BBW candles and scented wall plugins. Sooo my diffuser is my new best friend and Purification is my diffuser’s best friend. It keeps things smelling fresh and clean by removing the bad odors from your home.
- Diffuse in your home or car to remove gross odors from the air.
- Add a few drops of purification oil to your washing machine to help laundry smell cleaner than ever!
- Add a few drops of purification oil on cotton balls and store in drawers, closets, car, etc
- Always store oil blends in amber-glass bottles. Many oils are strong enough to dissolve plastic. You can read more about storing oils here.
- Keep carrier oils on hand. Jojoba Oil, Coconut Oil and Olive Oil are three very popular carrier oils. Young Living also carries its own carrier oil called V6. You can read more about these carrier oils here.
- If you’re pregnant or nursing, or have little ones, I suggest the book Gentle Babies. It is specific to Young Living oils and breaks down how to safely use oils on babies, toddlers and pregnant/nursing women. Please know, not everyone reacts to oils the same way.
Oils can definitely be intimidating. There are SO many of them and they each have so many uses. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me. You can leave a comment, DM me on Insta/FB, or send me an email at hello (at) happilytrista.com.
Have you used essential oils? Which ones are your favorite? And how do you use them? I’d love to hear!
Disclaimer: Any suggestions made here are very specific to Young Living essential oils and should not be used with oils from another source. Statements made on this website about Young Living Essential Oils have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products and information are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Anyone suffering from disease or injury should consult with a physician. If you are currently on medication, please do not stop.